If uncertainty over the amount of your next electric bill causes you budget worries, SLEMCO has an answer. Budget Billing is available for qualified residential and small commercial customers only. Your monthly bill will vary slightly throughout the year, but you won't face wide variations due to weather extremes or seasonal changes. This could be very helpful for customers who must budget carefully due to fixed incomes.
The following terms and conditions apply:
- The Budget Billing Plan is available only to residential and small commercial (Rate 11) customers who have accumulated at least a 12-month historical billing record of normal electric consumption at their present service location.
- The Budget Billing Plan is available only to residential and small commercial customers who have no outstanding balances and have established good credit history.
- Budget Billing will be the average of the current month's billing revenue charges and any applicable surcharges plus the preceding 11 months billing revenue charges and any applicable surcharges, divided by 12. Budget amounts vary slightly each month to compensate for different usage levels. All other charges (deposits, service charges, etc.) will be included in the "Budget Payment Due" amount.
- Budget Billing accounts will be subject to the same delinquent policy as
normal monthly billing accounts; failure to pay by the delinquent date could result in automatic removal of the account from the Budget Billing Plan.
- Payment arrangements will not be available to Budget accounts.
For more information or to request that your account be placed on Budget Billing, call the SLEMCO Customer Services Department at 337-896-5200 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Payment by Bank Draft or Credit/Debit Card
Paying your bill by bank draft (available for all customers) or credit/debit card (for residential customers only) is fast, easy and convenient. SLEMCO's A.P.O. (Automatic Payment Options) Program saves you time by paying your monthly SLEMCO bill automatically. You may sign up at any time. Just fill out this authorization form * with the required information for the bank or credit/debit card account you wish to use and send it with your next monthly payment to SLEMCO Customer Services Department, Attention: A.P.O. Program, P.O. Box 90866, Lafayette, La., 70509.
Once the authorized payment option begins, you will receive a regular bill as before that will show the net bill but will have a zero balance. It will show "BANK DRAFT" for the automatic bank draft option and the date the bill will be drafted, or "CREDIT/DEBIT CARD CHG" for the automatic credit/debit card charge option and the date the bill will be charged. Your account won't be drafted or your credit/debit card charged any less than 10 days after each monthly billing, giving you ample time to call us with any questions regarding your bill.
For further information about paying your bill by bank draft or credit/debit card charge, contact the SLEMCO Customer Services Department at 337-896-5200 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Emergency Bill Deferment
In the Louisiana Emergency Relief Act of 2001, the state legislature required the Louisiana Public Service Commission (LPSC) to adopt rules to ensure that gas and electric utilities under its jurisdiction implement a deferred billing program for pre-qualified customers in the event of an LPSC-declared "energy emergency."
Under such an emergency, pre-qualified customers would be able to defer partial payment of their utility bill over a three-month period. An "energy emergency" is characterized by inordinately high utility bills which are the product of high gas or other fuel costs, unusually inclement weather necessitating extensive use of utilities or any other circumstances as determined by the LPSC. The LPSC has the authority to determine what constitutes "inordinately high bills," "high fuel costs" and "unusually inclement weather."
Only specific groups of customers can pre-qualify for the deferral and pre-qualification is mandatory. Once an "energy emergency" has been declared by the Public Service Commission, any new applications received will not be eligible for bill deferral until the next energy emergency.
The following groups are eligible:
- Customers at least 65 years old whose income does not exceed 150 percent of the poverty level established by the federal government.
- Customers of any age who receive food stamps or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF).
- Customers whose sole income consists of Social Security benefits.
- Governmental entities as identified by the LPSC who provide vital services, the absence of which could result in "imminent peril" to the public health, safety and/or welfare.
- Those customers who need life sustaining, electrically-operated equipment or life sustaining medical treatment that requires electricity.
Enrollment is simple. If you qualify, download the application form* now or call SLEMCO's Customer Services department at 337-896-5200 weekdays (except holidays) from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and an application will be mailed to you. The application must be filed in the name of the person who is listed on the SLEMCO account. In addition to the application, you will have to provide the documents or certification requested that validate your age, income, medical or other need which qualifies you for participation in this program.
*To view and print these files you will need Adobe® Acrobat® software included in most Web browsers. If you do not have Acrobat, click here to obtain a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.